The Parish Church of San Pedro and its lavish Plateresque high altarpiece are definitely worth a visit in Bergara. Created during the first half of the 16th century there are classical elements repeated throughout: grotesque designs, graceful balustered pillars and heads of angels, among others. The ensemble has a clearly defined structure: five vertical panels and three horizontal rows with interspersed images of saints, apostles and scenes from the Passion of Christ.
The wealth of decoration in the altarpiece is in clear contrast to the carving of the figures, as some of them do not show the characteristics of the new style. In the predella, however, the images of the four evangelists, Saint Luke, Saint John, Saint Mark and Saint Matthew, are outstanding for their beauty and the quality of the carving
The parish church of San Pedro de Bergara houses the epitome of Baroque style: the consummate sculpture of the Cristo de la Agonia is placed in the left side chapel and was carved in 1622 by Juan de Mesa, the master of the Baroque school of Seville.
The parish church of Santa Marina de Orixondo, a building from the 16th century, is a perfect example of the Basque Gothic style. Its interior is an oasis of peace and tranquillity, disturbed only by the monumentality and unfolding of the High Altarpiece.
This building has been officially declared a monument of interest of the Basque Autonomic Community; the structural design is a conception of Miguel de Irazusta, who completed this imposing work between 1739 and 1742 using wood in its natural colour, and with details in the Baroque-Rococo style. The images that decorate the altarpiece are by Luis Salvador Carmona, a master from the school of Madrid. The image of Saint Marina is placed in a central niche, flanked by Saints Abdon and Senen in the side panels. At the top there is a representation of the Saviour together with the four theological virtues.