Bergara stands out particularly for its grandeur but also because it was here where the chemical element Wolfram (or tungsten) was isolated in the 18th century at the “Real Seminario”, a centre of advanced studies, whose collections can now be visited in the Laboratorium museum.
In the town centre there are buildings from the 16th and 17th centuries, in particular, mansions, outstanding manor houses and parish churches such as San Pedro in Ariznoa and Santa Maria in Orixondo. The former parish church venerates the image of Cristo de la Agonia (1622) created by the Baroque sculptor Juan de Mesa whilst the latter with its spectacular main altarpiece (18th century) is classified as a regional monument.
Official Website: www.bergaraturismo.eus
IPhone APP download